November 2018

Dear ones,

This has been a busy month it started out on October 27th with the anniversary party for our 60th year of marriage. We had about 50 people in attendance for the party. Glen’s brother Al, who was a ring bearer, drove over from Kentucky. We had lots of fun and good conversations all around. The kids and grandchildren sang for us. That was a real surprise for me. Glen and I gave tributes and I think a good time was had by all.


Then the following Sunday was my birthday, November 4.  Martha’s mother chose that day for the baby shower and at 6 o’clock we returned to the church for an Ann Downing concert because I like her singing and she is a good friend of mine. The concert was wonderful and we made it to an 8:00 pm dessert in my honor given by Matthew for my birthday.


We were also able to see Liz Curtis Higgs as she was speaking at a church not too far from where we live. It was special to see both of these women as it may be the last time that I see them before I see them in heaven.





For my birthday, Matthew, bought me and all of his family the new JBL-Link-View with  Google assistant. Matt says he bought it for the rest of the family so that mom would have someone to talk to. It sets quietly on the coffee table until we say “Hey Google!” Then it wakes up to do something we ask. If we say good morning it will respond with the weather report and read our calendar for the day. It can answer questions and also make video calls to people in our contact list. We can call Matt and have a video chat while seated on our couch.

Believe it or not, we had snow yesterday. It was cold enough to snow. It was 28°! It is only November and the trees have the leaves on them that show the color.  It made a beautiful display this morning.

Our daughter flew in from California for our anniversary but she was not able to stay for the anniversary party. She had to fly out early on Saturday morning.

Please pray for Glen as he is doing double time at home and now the doctors feel there might be something wrong with his heart. He is undergoing some tests and talking with the doctors. He is well taken care of but it is still a stressful time for him and for all of us. Please pray that it will be nothing and that his prayers and ours will be answered positively.

We love you,

Glen and Marilyn

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

September, 2018

Yes, we haven’t written since May.

It has been a busy time. Most of our calendar is filled with appointments with our doctors. You may recall that Marilyn had emergency surgery for a blood clot in the artery of her left arm. The recovery from that has been long and tedious. Finally, her arm almost appears normal.

Our Neurologist sent us downtown to the Theo and Alf Landon Center for the Aging. Just that name tells a story. Marilyn had an appointment with the Director of Neurology there. Our Neurologist just calls him the grandaddy Neurologist. He spent quite a bit of time with Marilyn. Then Marilyn was seen by several others with varied interest in her condition. We have seen a Neurologist for pain who arranged physical therapy for strength and balance. She also signed off on an electrical mobility chair. We were also seen by two resource specialists who set up a new walker for Marilyn. The unusual feature of the new walker is that the user must squeeze the two handles before the brakes of the walker will release.

We took delivery of the electrical mobility chair, but it was just too big and too difficult to operate, so we returned it after a trial period.

We now have the new walker and Marilyn is learning to use it. I think it is more stable than out old walker, so we are keeping it.

We were also referred to an ophthalmologist who specializes in the brain. He showed us Marilyn’s most recent MRI and pointed out several problems Marilyn has with her eyes which come from her brain atrophy. One eye problem he saw was that Marilyn’s eyes don’t converge well. He proposes that her next lenses be made with a prism quality to help the wandering eye be able to focus in coordination with the other eye.

We have two more referrals yet to complete. The first is with a new cardiologist who has ordered a trans-esophageal-echo-cardiogram. This procedure will hopefully reveal how Marilyn’s heart is functioning and provide clues for helping her heart stay free of blood clots. The second referral is to a Psychologist who will provide support for depression. The echo-cardiogram is scheduled for September 10. Our new Cardiologist sees us the next day. We have a follow-up with the new Neurologist on October 24 and see the Psychologist the next day which will be October 25.

Speaking of October 25th, and we are, That date will be our sixtieth wedding anniversary,  We plan to get together with family then, followed by a big shindig on Saturday the 27th. The Lord has blessed us with these married years and we want to share his blessings with our friends.

Marilyn has had a slow day today. She went to physical therapy but could not complete the exercises for the day. She started this morning feeling tired and just never got ahead of that feeling. I put her to bed early in the evening and pray that a good rest will help her gain some energy.

The two of us still look well even when we’re really not.



Here’s a picture of us arriving at church on a Sunday morning ready for the worship service and then Sunday school.






Here we are at one of our favorite restaurants, Stroud’s Pan Fried Chicken. The two girls found out about Marilyn and we gave them each a book. It is a privilege to share blessings with friends.




Please continue to pray for us. Especially remember Marilyn’s health.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

MAY 2018

Dear ones,

It has been kind of a topsy-turvy time since the last Heavilin Herald. Each time we think things have settled into some kind of normal, we are surprised again.

How many of you can say, “We had snow for Easter?” We can. It was 1 April, and we nearly froze outside because of the wind. The temperature was in the thirties! We had a wonderful Easter Sunday at our church. I pray that each of you did too.

We had cold weather for most of April and finally May arrived with some warmer weather. We are very grateful for the warmer weather. It does seem a little late though. We are enjoying it.

We did try celebrating Caleb’s birthday outside at a park, because Matt and Deb were having an open house on the last weekend of April. However, it seemed very cold because of the wind. It always blows in Olathe.

Since Nate and Martha are buying a house in Gardiner, Kansas, Matt and Deb decided to sell their big house. They plan to move back into their older home where the kids were living.

In April, at the end of the month, we were privileged to watch and listen to Yo Yo Ma play the cello magnificently. We really enjoy attending the Kansas City Symphony so far, I am able to attend most of the events that I wish to attend.

We were rattled somewhat by a call Saturday, May the 5th, just before we were planning to sit down to supper. We received a call that Matt had been taken to the hospital by ambulance because of some heart problems. We arrived at the hospital in Olathe immediately to find a very flushed face Matt. I could tell he was in trouble immediately. After about two hours, they released him to go home with the promise that he would contact his doctor on Monday. His own doctor saw him on Monday morning and was very upset that they did that did not keep him at least until Sunday morning. After four prescriptions Matt is feeling much better, but he is stayed home and missed work for a week. Matt will be 59 in July and he knows that he must consider himself first from now on.

It has been about two months since I had a fall. I am feeling fairly well. My neurologist did say that I will live several more years. Praise God for that statement. We were surprised when I faced emergency surgery last Wednesday for a blood clot in my elbow which turned into quite an emergency. After a quick call to our Cardiologist we took off for the ER. They quickly identified the location of the clot and whisk me off for vascular surgery. I spent six days in the hospital for a slow recovery which included Mother’s Day.

To celebrate, Matt and his family brought in Vernors ginger ale. That was very nice. We had 12 visitors that day plus family. We were kept very busy. Then the doctors came in and said that I could go home on Monday. I have had quite a bit of pain, and swelling since then but I am so much happier at home.

We appreciate your prayer for Matt, and we know that our God is able to answer our prayers. We also would appreciate your prayer for Marilyn. That God will give her several more years yet.

LY, Marilyn and Glen Heavilin
4001 105th St, apt 433
Overland Park, Kansas 66207

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment


Dear Friends and Family,

We are so grateful for our church, College Church of the Nazarene. We especially enjoy the LIFE group to which we have been assigned. The group has loved and supported us like their own family. God definitely knew in which group we belonged.

In the last 10 days, I have fallen twice. Falling is not pleasant. Fortunately I did not need to go to the hospital with either fall. We were blessed last summer to have a new medical building built just across the street. Our primary care doctor now has an office in that building. We can literally walk across the street for the majority of our medical needs. They have an urgent care center in the building, and we visited there after one of Marilyn’s falls. It turns out that the unusual sores on Marilyn’s shin are a recurrence of shingles. This will make the fifth time. No pain this time, so I would say the shingles shot worked! After the second fall, our doctor was not able to see Marilyn, so they arranged for another doctor to see me. I quickly found out that the new doctor was a Christian, so we had a nice chat. After x-rays were taken she was quick to report to me that no bones were broken the second time either.

We had the privilege of hearing the Kansas City Symphony Orchestra once again. Had we mentioned that the conductor is a son of violinist Isaac Stern? This year would be Leonard Bernstein’s 100th birthday. Michael Stern, our conductor, grew up knowing him as Uncle Lenny. Introducing the Bernstein violin Serenade, Michael told us that when the piece debuted, in 1954, his father was the artist. Michael said he had no memory of the debut because he hadn’t been born yet. Remarks like that give us tender insights into Michael’s musical background. The picture is Michael at age 4 with his sister at a later performance, conducted by Bernstein featuring his father Isaac. We have bought season tickets for next year, too.

As we write this newsletter it is February 10. It is hard to think that 35 years ago our boy Nathan was killed by a drunk driver. We have had the practice of sending balloons off this day in remembrance of all three of our boys. Several years ago while at Morro Dunes RV Park on the California beach we met Wally and Vicki. Marilyn learned that Vicki’s mother had died suddenly and Vicki asked if we could also remember her mother at the balloon launch. We, of course, said yes and a new tradition with four balloons was established. Wally and Vicki have now moved to Kansas and today were able to join us for today’s launch. The temperature today in Kansas was 19 degrees. I don’t remember what it was on the beach in California, but I’m sure it was warmer.



Please pray for me that I will not fall again. This is very important to me. Please pray for Glen also that he will continue to enjoy good health so that he is able to care for me. I am also praying that my eyes will provide me good eyesight so that I may be able to read by myself.  For my morning Bible reading, Glen reads aloud to me. I am so grateful that Glen is willing to read to me.

Thank you for being willing to pray for us.

Glen and Marilyn Heavilin

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment


We made it to California and back without a hitch, we made it safely too. We talked about it on November 20th and left on the 24th for California. We stayed overnight in Greensburg, Kansas, Tucumcari, New Mexico, Gallup, New Mexico, and Kingman, Arizona. We became well educated in what “wheelchair accessible” meant. One of Marilyn’s showers resulted in flooding the bathroom floor because the drain was placed wrongly. We arrived safely in California on November 28. We were greeted that evening by a Redlands sunset. After the sun went down we had dinner with Randy and Lauren Briggs that evening.

The next day we were also able to enjoy an In-N-Out Burger with Eddie Lopez. Eddie was Glen’s assistant when Glen worked for the school district. It was great to see Eddie again.

Later that evening we had an Italian meal with Ken and Harriett Clark. On Thursday we had the chance to attend Lowell Linden’s Bible study. That gave us the opportunity to see many of the people that we had not seen previously. That afternoon we were able to visit Jean Nease. The next day we visited Pete and Nancy Botten followed by dinner with Maritri Garrett at the Thai House. On Saturday Marilyn had the joy of attending the Christmas Rose breakfast which enabled her to also see many of the folks she had not been able to greet at the church. She also found herself to be the proud owner of a poinsettia plant which I guess had been given to her because she was one of the honored guests. Glen did a wonderful job as he gave a quick explanation of how we decided to go to California and then he was allowed to pull the numbers for the raffle that took place after the program.

That Saturday evening we got to see the Lifehouse Theater production of “Scrooge.” I was good to see some of our friends from the theater.

We were able to attend the church service on Sunday, 3 December. Although Dr. Linden has retired, and things have changed around the church, we did have the opportunity to get to know Steven Jay Davis better and we appreciate how he welcomed us and invited other members of the church to greet us. He acknowledged us from the pulpit.

We drove another approximately 500 miles to see Mike and Mellyn and Christian. It had been nearly 4 years since we last saw Christian. We realized that everyone is growing older. Mellyn realized that her guest bathroom would not accommodate Marilyn’s wheelchair, so she quickly solved that problem by reserving a room for three nights at a nearby motel. We were very comfortable there.


Our first evening we were greeted by some wild turkeys.


We spent the days with Mellyn doing some Christmas shopping. We visited the new Fountains Mall and especially enjoyed the Bodin Restaurant and heartily recommend the grilled cheese sandwich that they offer.



On the trip home we were able to buy a small bear which had been carved out of a small section of the tree trunk. We placed him at an inset to the door way of our apartment. We think that we will like the bear for a long time.






Another new experience from our time on the road was seeing a MacDonald’s which had kiosks where the customer places their orders.



One thing we nearly missed while we were gone was a visit to our daughter in law by her parents Dennis and Di Jacobs. We managed to see them one evening for a meal at Cracker Barrel. The whole family got together, except Nate and Martha. The Jacobs left the next day for a visit with their other daughter.


Matt and Deb invited us to their house for Christmas dinner with their family. Here we are around the table.

LY, Glen and Marilyn Heavilin


Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

December 2017

Keswick friends at Branson



We had a three-day trip to Branson, Missouri. We saw The Miracle of Christmas at Sight and Sound, we saw the Oak Ridge Boys and we saw Six. We also enjoyed seeing the leaders from Keswick along with 52 tourists. We saw them several times during our three day stay in Branson. Seeing them was a very special treat.



Marilyn did very well on the trip and so we thought we could try California. We are leaving for a car trip to California the day after Thanksgiving. We plan to return on December 15. Please pray for us that God will give us safety on the road and all we plan to do will be taken care of and blessed by God.

Matts ramp



We do plan to have Thanksgiving dinner with the grandchildren and Matt and Deb Matt is very excited to show me a ramp that he built for my wheelchair.  I’m sure it will be very nice. After all, Matt built it.




Remember you might see us in Redlands sometime between November 28th and December 3rd. We have tickets to Scrooge at Lifehouse for the December 2nd evening show. If you’d like to get together sometime during our visit just email us.

LY, Glen and Marilyn


Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

November 2017

It’s been a busy time here. We go places. We do things. We entertain guests. For a couple of old people we have a busy life.

Made by Samsung DVCOne of the events we enjoy here in Kansas City is the hunter and jumper horse show at the American Royal, Hale Arena. Most of the event is no admission, and open seating. We went during a practice session and saw one horse at a time using the course. Sometimes the rider would take the horse through the complete course. Other times they would just concentrate on a few jumps, taking two or three attempts to learn the required techniques.


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOn October 24, we celebrated our 59th wedding anniversary by going to J. Alexander’s for dinner. J Alexander’s knew how to treat us by giving us a card for our anniversary and presenting us with a large piece of their famous Carrot Cake for our dessert. The next night we joined the Life group in celebrating our anniversary by having our favorite dessert, cheesecake with all of them. We chose to celebrate the actual date, October 25, with them. We had a wonderful time with all of the Life group.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe Clarks came to visit us from California the weekend prior to my birthday and just after our anniversary. We took them to Independence, Missouri for a brief, but somewhat in-depth visit to Truman territory. We also visited the jail where Frank James spent his last days, and we had lunch at a very nice and authentic German eatery.


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWe were blessed to have our daughter Mellyn come from California for a few days. We took Mellyn to the Hallmark Visitor’s Center for a brief visit. We enjoyed the displays, and we actually spoke with a Hallmark artist. While looking at the display of the award winning Hallmark television programs, Mellyn was able to present Marilyn with an Emmy. Yes, that is an actual Emmy. Sadly, though, we couldn’t keep it.



We managed a family dinner so that everyone could meet Aunt Mellyn while she was visiting us. Glen’s brother George and his wife Cathy were here also. We had a wonderful time visiting with each other at the round table. Some of us recalled old memories and it was fun. I think we helped Uncle Matt check out some facts for the tribute he was preparing for Marilyn’s birthday bash.

November 4 was the big day. By the way, the birthday bash was started properly by Ken and Harriett Clark who called from Redlands. Marilyn was quite surprised and very pleased at their duet singing.

Yes, we had a birthday bash, that’s what Marilyn called it. It was a great success as more than 40 people gathered to wish Marilyn a happy 80th Birthday. Matt gave his tribute, (8 books, 80 years, and 800,000 miles) to me, which was beautiful.

Our family

I received lots of flowers, including a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my neurologist which was lovely. We also got flowers from friends. I received many greeting cards and several gift cards for which I am very grateful.

I am feeling quite well and doing quite well. I haven’t had a fall for several weeks, and that is very good! Thank you all for praying for me. I do know that it makes a real difference. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

We’re going to Branson this week and plan to see our friend Bill Welte from Keswick. He’s leading a tour from New Jersey out to Missouri. We are very thrilled to get to see him and other friends again. I hear from my friends there, quite often. This will be an opportunity to see them face to face.

Love you,

Marilyn and Glen Heavilin


Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWe’ve had a busy month. We started out in the month of August. Marilyn’s brother, Walt, visited. Since he has Narcolepsy, he came by way of the Greyhound Bus. We managed to host a birthday party for him although his official day is September 6. We gave him a pair of pants and a plaid shirt for which he was very grateful.


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe big event of August this year was the total solar eclipse. It was special in these parts because we were right near the path of totality. On the 21st we loaded into the car and drove up to Liberty, MO. There we were able to watch the eclipse with our home made viewer box and then experienced about two minutes of totality.



OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWe had planned to join one of the local TV weather men, but instead ended up in a Cracker Barrel parking lot. We avoided the crowd and then had a meal in the restaurant. It was a good combination.



Our church continues to bring us good music and we enjoyed the Liberty Quartet on the evening of August 27. It was fun to join a room full of old people and listen to some good old southern gospel harmony.


Sisters GroupThen, on August 31, our church hosted an event for Women of Faith. I enjoyed the presentation of Sisters presented by Marilyn’s dear friends Patsy Clairmont, Jan Silvious, and Anita Renfro



OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI was surprised at the end when the powers that be chose me to receive the painting that all three girls had worked on during the evening. Patsy made the announcement that Marilyn had been selected at random, and then came down almost immediately to say, “I had nothing to do with it.” Marilyn’s answer to her was “No, but God did. He knew that I needed something special tonight.” We quickly bought a frame for the picture and it now hangs on our living room wall.

LY Glen and Marilyn





Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

August, 2017

Dear friends,

Jenna WeisMy Physical Therapy has ended for this time. It was for a short five weeks this time. My therapy trainer was named Jenna, she was probably the best of all the trainers I have had. Jenna was all business, but she had her funny moments, too. Since I didn’t make a lot of progress on my last test, Jenna explained that I had simply reached a plateau in my progress. Oh well, at least I don’t have to arrange for sessions three times a week anymore. I am supposed to continue the exercise at home. I am doing fairly well with that.






Our oldest son turned 58 on July 16. I planned a little party for him. We had ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. I gave him two very nice shirts that Deb had helped me select. We sang Happy Birthday to him and we had the whole family as guests to sing to him.









We also were able to attend the Starlight Theater to see Something Rotten. It is a new play with an excellent plot but Glen and I would hesitate to recommend it. The tap dancing was excellent. The voices were good. There was good harmony on the ensemble numbers. The problem was the use of vulgarities in the dialog and lyrics. The show was just too rotten for our taste.

Starlight Theater

It was very hot that night and the best thing that happened to us was that we met Summer. Summer was one of the people in a red shirt, who goes around at the Starlight looking for people she can help. We got stymied at the family restroom and Summer jumped in to take Marilyn to the ladies restroom. Summer has worked for the Starlight for the past four years. She gave me the best care I have received since I needed care. I assumed that Summer was a nurse or perhaps in training to be a nurse, but she was not. She was just a person who cared for others in need and she was a delight to meet.

By the way, I do have a new caregiver. Her name is Dianne Olson. I think she will work out very nicely. Our previous caregiver, Mary Singh, was with the organization for almost 6 years but she decided to go to another job that could keep her busier. She was a nice lady, and I will miss her.

Flash flood rescue

Last Wednesday was supposed to be a very nice day with no rain, but something went amiss with the forecast because it began in the evening and then rained all night. The next morning we had a flash flood. Indian Creek became a “roaring river”. The weather follow-up said we got over 5 inches of rain in just a couple of hours. Two business owners had to be rescued after they got stranded inside the building they were trying to secure.

Patsy Clairmont and MarilynSome people seem surprised that I am quite active, but my answer to them is “I’m not dead yet!” I still manage to get to church and I get out to eat several times per week. That’s not even counting the trips to our doctors. I am thankful that God allows me to get out as often as I can. I especially enjoy the church services, the Sunday school class that we attend, and the Life group meetings. Our Life group leader is a handyman and he has built ramps for us to navigate the wheelchair around his house. We do plan to see my friend Patsy Clairmont when she appears at our church on August 31.


Michael Stern





I am also excited about the gift that I can give Glen for his birthday this year. I got us season tickets for the Kansas City Symphony orchestra including one event where Yo-Yo Ma will be performing. The symphony season starts in September, but the Yo-Yo Ma performance will not be until next March.

Yo-Yo Ma








Thank you for your prayers on my behalf. I am praying that God would give me several years yet, but I am looking forward to Heaven. We will see what God plans to do with my request. Most of all, I am praying that God will take good care of Glen when I am gone.        I KNOW HE WILL ANSWER MY PRAYER.

I love God and Glen so much.

Because of Him,

Glen and Marilyn Heavilin


Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

July, 2017

Hello again. We have been doing pretty well. We’ve even had an opportunity to get out for a concert. We heard Emanuel Ax play the piano with the Kansas City Symphony orchestra. The symphony has a wonderful sound and is directed by Michael Stern, a son of the late violinist Isaac Stern.

Helzberg Hall



The performance was in Helzberg Hall at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.





Kauffman Center


It was so nice to attend a concert where people knew how to dress for the event. I know I am showing my age, but it was very nice to attend an event where people were dressed properly.



Happy BirthdaySpeaking of my age, did I tell you in the last Herald that Glen plans to hold a birthday party for me on my 80th birthday? We will celebrate on the actual day, Saturday, November 4, 2017. We just spoke to our restaurant friends across the street and they said come on down, so you are all invited. However, you will have to pay your own housing expenses, since I do not think that this small apartment will handle all the people who might want to come. Let us know if you plan to come. We will have light refreshments and need to know that we have ordered enough food for the event. I know it seems like a long time to November, but we wanted to give you plenty of time to prepare.

The physical therapy sessions are going quite well. I think my strength is increasing although I feel weak in the balance department. My therapist is very supportive and has done a good job. Glen is a wonderful caregiver and is helping me learn to be more mindful of what I am doing.

Over the last few weeks we have contracted for a respite care person who comes once every two weeks on Wednesday mornings. This gives Glen a few minutes of his own time. Our daughter-in-law Debbie has volunteered for the Wednesdays in between when the respite helper comes.  That has really been helpful. While Glen was my only caregiver he was always shopping with me. I was not able to surprise him at Christmas, or his birthday, or Father’s Day, or our anniversary. Finally, I am able to surprise him on special days since Debbie can help me shop.

Walk in the wordI am listening regularly to James MacDonald on television now. He is the founder of the many Harvest Bible Chapel’s around the world. He is currently speaking on PRAYER. Even though I wrote a book on the topic, I am learning much from him that I didn’t include in the book.

Turning Point

I am also enjoying David Jeremiah. He is currently speaking on HEAVEN.  David is a pastor down in El Cajon, just outside of San Diego.



Both MacDonald and Jeremiah are presently appearing on TBN. I would encourage you to check the listings for TBN and see if both speakers are available in your area. They both are excellent teachers and I think you all would enjoy listening to them.

Because of Him,

Glen and Marilyn Heavilin



Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment